By spending time outdoors in nature, you are able to take a break from your normal routine. It will definitely help you blow off some steam. You, however, won’t be able to enjoy your stay outdoors without proper preparation. If you are wondering what supplies do you need for camping, then you are in the right place to receive the answer.
The items that you should take with you on a camping trip depend on things such as the weather conditions and the number of people in your entourage. However, in this article, I will highlight some of the vital items you will need to make your stay outdoors enjoyable and safe so read on.
What is the complete camping checklist to consider?
When preparing your camping checklist and wonder what supplies to bring with you, the first thing that you should consider is how comfortable do you want to be when you are out there. If you want a glammed up experience, then you will have to pack quite a bit of supply for the ultimate outdoor experience.
If that’s not the case, then the normal camping accessories will do and I will explain in detail what some of these items are. My complete camping checklist is divided into sections to make it easy for you to identify the materials that you should get for the next outdoor trip. Let’s now review some of the items in detail.
The first thing that you should sort out if you plan on spending some time outdoors is your accommodations needs and this means getting an outdoor tent. The type of tent that you choose depends on the nature of your outdoor activities. If you plan on moving a lot, then you should get a tent that is easy to carry around.
However, if you plan on staying in one place, then you can get a slightly heavier tent that is luxurious and offers better protection from the elements. Here is a comprehensive tent checklist.
- Type of tent – You should get a tent that is strong enough to protect you from the elements. It should also be large enough to accommodate you and the other people you are sharing it with
- Tent accessories – You should get the necessary accessories that are needed for proper tent management. This includes a tent carpet, a tent footprint, and a tent porch
- Spare tent pegs – A peg can get damaged so you should have spare ones just in case this happens
- Mallet – For fixing tent pegs firmly into the ground
Tent Sleeping Checklist
You also need to sort a sleeping arrangement if you want to enjoy your stay. If you don’t figure it out before heading to a campground it could leave you fatigued and sore as a result of lying on uncomfortable surfaces. This could interfere with your plans the next day and believe me you don’t want it. In this regard, here are some of the items that you might need to ensure you sleep comfortably in the tent.
- Sleeping bag – ideal for mobile campers who prefer lightweight sleeping materials and those who want to sleep outside the tent
- Sleeping mat/airbed – If you are looking for extra insulation and comfort when sleeping, then you should definitely get an airbed
- Camp bed – If you prefer sleeping on a raised surface rather than on the ground, then you should get a camp bed. It is not the most portable of structures so you should only consider it if you plan on staying in a single spot for a period of time
- A pillow – For added comfort and head and shoulder support
- Earplugs – To block external noises
There are other things that you must consider bringing with you to camp if you want to make your stay memorable. They include:
- Camping furniture – tables and camping chairs that you set up at the campsite. These items provide you with a great hangout area where you and your friends can relax after a long day in the woods
- A toilet – If you have kids, then you can get a portable toilet that the kids can use when it gets dark
- Torch – You need a torch or some other lighting source to find your way in the dark
- A rope – It has plenty of uses at a campsite. You can use them to tie things up or as a washing line
Camping Cooking Checklist
You also need to plan what you will eat. These are some of the things that you need to get to make sure you don’t starve to death. Water supplies are very important since you will use it for many things like cooking, washing, etc. My cooking checklist includes:
- A stove – For preparing different kinds of meals
- A water container – For carrying clean water for your out of site activities
- Tableware – You will need items such as cups and plates to feed
- Cooking utensils – For preparing and cooking the meals
- A basin – For cleaning the dishes when they are done
- Matches/lighter – For putting up a campfire
Camping Safety Checklist
Anything can happen when you are out there. You need the necessary supplies to make sure that you are safe. These includes:
- A first aid kit
- Your personal medication, if you are taking any
- Sunscreen – To protect you from the harmful sun rays
- Anti-bacterial hand wash – To keep the hands clean at all times
- A pocket knife
- Insect repellent – To keep bugs and other insects at bay
If you want to know what are the costs of camping and staying in the hotel you are free to check my article that explains the general costs of camping vs hotel accommodation options.
Consider the complete camping checklist
Before embarking on a camping trip, you need to ask yourself, what supplies do you need to stay safe and happy when being outdoors. This will help you figure out the items that you will need to make the stay as comfortable and as safe as possible.